Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wheel spacers for that WT look

I've always wanted the wheels to stick out a bit more than they do, especially the rear tires.  I don't need the extra-wide stance of a WT Cherokee, though.  The solution, rather inexpensive (but not cheap), was to go with wheel spacers.  There are differing opinions on using them.  Some argue that Jeep owners should just go with less back-spacing on the rim itself while others say wheel spacers are essentially no different than backspacing as long as they are installed correctly.  The concern is that they move the tire (and its weight) farther out, which places a bit more strain on the outer wheel bearings.  I'm not inclined to worry too much given the mild to moderate wheeling I'll be doing, and that my tires are not 40" Mud Boggers.

Just put them on, drive for a ways, take the wheels off, tighten them back up (if needed), and go from there.  In about five hundred miles, I'll do it again and then not fret about them.

Stock Jeep lugs have 7/16"-20 threads, so get the right spacers or you'll be buying new lug nuts.  I got mine from Trail Sports Unlimited, Inc. in Colton, CA.  They are 1,5" spacers made from forged 6061 billet aluminum and come with Grade 8 lug studs and acorn nuts.  My contact at Trail Sports said not to use any Loctite on the threads.  That's another debatable point, but I'm sticking with my supplier's recommendation.
Here's a "before" shot:
After: