Saturday, May 4, 2013

Past smog ... barely

Now that I've got the Howell system installed, I took it to a STAR station to get it approved.  I was worried about the new system's legality (not whether it was actually legal but whether the smog dude would know that it's legal).  He was an older guy, and I'd taken the carburated version of my rig to him, only to learn that the carb was so out of whack that the NO level was off the charts.  I'd affixed the sticker on the passenger side of the front core support near the battery tray, had a copy of the C.A.R.B. executive order certifying the Howell system, and just hoped for the best.
It did indeed pass, but only withthe smog dude "heating the shit out of" the catalytic converter.  He says the universal cats are only good for a few tests, every other year, which is precisely how long this one lasted.  I'll get a new, better cat next year, maybe.