Monday, May 6, 2013

Pulled the transfer case, confirmed its death ...

To verify that the NP229 viscous coupler is indeed dead (and by that, I mean cracked open and no longer functional), I drained the fluid.  Here's what I found:
Note the gray swirls in the otherwise deep red transmission oil.  That's the silicon, from what I understand, of the viscous coupler that is no longer in its enclosed container.  That's what happens when it blows.  There's an enclosed can inside that has spider gears (as you would expect from a differential) and clutch discs.  See this discussion thread at IFSJA.org for a peek inside the VC.  That gray goo is what is floating in my transfer case oil.  Rather than replace the coupler (which is a $400 part in an irritating, vacuum actuated transfer case that I'd have to rebuild), I'm shopping for something else that will bolt up to the TF727 transmission.  I can buy a rebuilt 229 for about seven hundred, but I have had too many issues with the vacuum lines (they've been "fixed" three times by three reputable shops) to want to put money into such a thing.  Why pay so much to get back what I already don't like?