Friday, June 14, 2013

Painting, Day 2 - Bedliner

The roof is one lumpy chunk of sheet metal.  It's sun damaged, dented, faded, peeling, with a bit of surface rust.  I removed the luggage rack runners.
I wasn't going to take it down to the bare sheet metal (not entirely, anyway), but I needed to remove any rust and flaky paint.  I used an orbital sander and went to town.
Making some progress.


I went with Herculiner, which got good reviews and wasn't terribly expensive.  I'm using it to add both a bit of style and a bit of protection.
The green tape marked off the section to be lined.  I wanted to follow the body line of the doors, so I just carried it into the front fascia area.
This is more for style than practicality.  I just really like the look.  Has some of that old school Cherokee styling.
Coating the roof is more about protection than anything.  It's been damaged, and it needs to be toughened up.  But it also wasn't worth spending big bucks on more bronze paint to cover that much real estate.  The liner is cheaper and more meaningful as top coat.