Friday, June 21, 2013

Limped home, and needing some service

To get down the mountain, I decided to go the east route that drops down to Mentone rather than the west route to Redlands. My theory was that it was longer and flatter to go east, so I'd avoid an overheat event.  I was mostly right. I made it through Big Bear City and partway up over the pass (about 7500 ft) before the temp spiked and I had to pull over into a turnout for a cooldown and refill. The family was in the Honda about ten minutes behind me getting donuts. They brought me mine and some water for the Jeep.  After a bit, I said screw it and got going. Sitting was going to cool it down more slowly than getting it up to speed on a downhill slope with the water pump running. It worked all the way through Mentone and east Redlands to the 10 freeway.  I was flying through some quite beautiful mountain scenery. I found Clark's path and a few others that I will want to run sometime in the future.  Sometimes I just put the rig in neutral to drop the revs and let the Jeep rest.  Except for one massive RV pulling a TJ when I wanted to keep cruising, it was what I had hoped it would be. Kim said I was going so fast that she couldn't catch me on the 10 unless she went 75. But she's a slow mountain driver (doesn't do it at all during ski season), so she was just being appropriately cautious. 

And then I hit the fan at Mission Ave and the 91. Yuck. I pulled off and let it sit.  The family and I drove to Napa to get a megafuse for the fan in case it happened to be the problem (it wasn't, but now I have a spare).  Popped it in. Fan wouldn't start. 

We headed out towards the 60 because the 91 is the work of the devil and it was a warm inland empire summer day. I pushed it through Norco, got onto the 91 West for home and just kept going. Somewhere on this leg the temp gauge flat out died after I tried once more the "tap it to get an accurate reading" trick. My only gauge now would be steam or fire from under the hood. I blasted up Imperial Highway to Lakeview, on to my lovely block, up the lawn and home. I opened the hood to release any heat trapped in the engine bay. 

For now, the rig is at peace and where I can work on it. Tomorrow will be better.