Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ignition Improvements

Due to some starting issues (too much time to crank over, in particular) , I've turned my attention to the ignition system. I've already replaced the starter motor, which helped. Now I've popped out the old ignition coil--which looked ancient--and threw in an Accel Super Stock coil. That didn't quite solve the problem, though it was a smart upgrade. So then came a new ignition module. Both of these were quick and easy, just a few screws and a couple electrical connections. The Jeep is starting better as a result.

Up next, spark plugs. I went with E3 Diamond Fire spark plugs, which are ridiculously expensive compared to standard Bosch plugs but promise a more complete combustion cycle for (albeit modestly) improved power and mileage. I'm hoping for just more consistent spark and somewhat smoother running engine, and the extra forty bucks to get that is worth it. I will gladly pay for peace of mind. Here's how the plugs went it.