Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Master cylinder install and radiator burping

The master cylinder has a leak.  You can see where the fluid has been eeking its way around the piston and out into the engine bay and the vacuum booster.
 This is the new part to install.  I've worked on brakes before, but not terribly successfully (just the caliper upgrade and some new brake lines, one of which was bad and beyond my ability to fix).
The instructions and the plugs that came with the master cylinder were largely a waste of time.  The plugs didn't even fit the ports.
So I had to improvise my bench bleeding procedure.  I started with the fingertips from rubber gloves, but they didn't hold pressure.  Painter's tape did the trick for me.  There was very little leakage, so I was able to get the bubbles out of the cylinder prior to mounting it in the rig.
Mounted up.
 Old parts out.  My wife will never get that turkey baster back.
This is where the leakage occurred.
My bleeder bottle.  It was a cheap buy, but it got the job done.
That is some dark, nasty stuff.
 Ditto.
Here's my helper.  She really wants to learn how to drive, but she's only eleven, so she'll have to wait at least a year.
 Filled and finished.