Sunday, October 5, 2008

New front brake rotors and calipers are on

As you can see in the picture at right, the rotor is shaved, the new caliper is on, and the bleeding is about to begin. I wanted a second pair of Speed Bleeders for the back drum brakes (they're different than the ones in front--5/16" for the back, 3/8" for the front), but I ordered the wrong size. But that's the least of my problems for the brakes, as I'll discuss in a later post.

In the process of installing the extended brake hoses for the front calipers, I made another mistake, damaging the end of the hard brake line that meets the hose at the frame rail. I used the "borrow-a-tool" option from AutoZone, installed a new nut, and flanged the end. It was a worthwhile mistake, actually, because I was able to learn a bit more about working with brake lines. Not fun, but educational. [Editor's Note: I flanged it correctly, but I twisted the hard brake line so much that it had to be replaced. Ultimately, I was not able to get the lines right.]