Thursday, September 25, 2008

Assessment and progress report


It's been a month since my last post because I've been either under the Jeep or at work since the new semester is now in full swing. In the foreground of the shot above is the new leaf spring, at rest below the top of the drum brake hub. If you look above the far drum brake/wheel hub, you can see the old leaf spring which is above to top, making it clear how much of a lift these new springs will give me. (The old ones are simply shot; they're in a pile near my garbage cans now.)

In this shot, the shocks are removed, as is the track bar, which I have since reinstalled with a relocation bracket.

I've installed a 4" lift kit from BJ's Off Road, which is a great kit and went in easily. I was lucky that the hidden nut welded to the frame rail next to the gas tank held fast so that I didn't have to drop the tank to hold it in place while putting the new left rear spring on. Once the springs were installed, I added Rancho RS9000XL shocks front and rear, plus Rancho's RS5000 steering stabilizer shock (see pic below).

In order to improve axle articulation off road (and to compensate for the 4" lift), I installed BJ's sway bar quick disconnects. I can pop them off to get the axle moving when I need it but put them back on when I need stability on roads. I also replaced the sway bar bushings, as well, because they were rather crusty.

Inside the car, I've also fixed the right rear passenger door handle/elbow rest. I just popped the door panel off, installed the retaining clips, and screwed it back on. The leather steering wheel cover was also ripped and stained, so I cut it off and put an aftermarket matching-ish steering wheel cover.